DIY Gold Horseshoe Balloons for your Derby Party
DIY Project, Styling and Text by Studio DIY
Photos by Mary Costa Photography
It’s Derby party time! Don your hats, place your bets and get ready to bring the Derby to you with these gold horseshoe balloons. All you need are latex balloons and gold leaf, and you’re off to the races! (Pun intended.)
- Balloon Time Helium Tank
- Latex balloons
- Gold Leaf sheets
- Gold Leaf adhesive
- Paint brush
- Printable horseshoe template
- Toy horses (optional, for balloon weights)
- Spray paint (optional, for balloon weights)
- Inflate balloons with your Balloon Time Helium Tank and tie with ribbon.
- Cut out your horseshoe stencil and lay it over the balloon. (Do not tape it to the balloon.) Brush the gold leaf adhesive onto the balloon using the stencil as a guideline.
- Remove the stencil and let the adhesive set, according to package instructions, until it is tacky. With the gold side down, press a sheet of gold leaf onto the adhesive (one sheet should cover about 2/3 of the horseshoe) and press firmly. Peel back the paper and the gold should adhere to the adhesive. Repeat with another sheet to cover the rest of the horseshoe shape.
- Use a clean brush to brush off any excess gold leaf around the edges. You can also touch up any areas where the gold may not have adhered by adding adhesive and gold leaf.
- If you want to make horse balloon weights, spray paint toy horses in your desired color palette and let dry completely. Tie one horse to the end of each balloon string.
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on the Balloon Time carton.