DIY Balloon Tissue Paper Tassels
DIY Projects, Styling, and Text: Oh So Beautiful Paper
DIY Project Photos: Oh So Beautiful Paper
Party Photos: Charlie Juliet Photography
Balloons are the perfect addition to any party décor. They make a big statement while allowing guests to move about the party and mingle. When I hosted a large cocktail party in New York City in conjunction with the National Stationery Show earlier this summer, I knew balloons would be perfect at the party entrance and outdoor terrace.
We paired 3’ balloons with handmade tissue paper tassels for colorful and festive party decor. Here’s how to get this look for your next party.
- Balloon Time Jumbo Helium Tank (one per balloon)
- 3’ round latex balloons
- Tissue paper or Mylar
- String or ribbon
- Clear tape
- Balloon weights
- To make the tissue paper tassels, fold a single sheet of tissue paper crosswise. Use tissue paper that is 20″ by 30″ flat and 20″ by 15″ folded. Be sure to fold the tissue paper crosswise so you have long tassels to accompany the large 3’ round balloons.
- To create the tassel fringe, use scissors to cut strips towards the fold. Each strip should be between 1/4″ and 1/2″ wide, leaving a couple of inches uncut at the fold line. Continue cutting strips all the way along the folded sheet.
- Once all the fringe strips are cut, unfold the tissue paper sheet and lay it flat on a table or hard surface. Carefully, roll the tissue paper tightly along the middle crease from one end to the other, making sure the fringe doesn’t get tangled or ripped.
- After rolling the tassel, twist the middle section to secure it, then fold and twist the tassel to create a loop for hanging. Ta da, you now have a tassel! Make as many as you’d like for each balloon.
- Once you have the tassels ready to go, inflate your balloons using the Balloon Time Helium Tanks. Knot each balloon and tie with string or ribbon.
- Lastly, it’s time to attach the tassels. Starting as close as possible to the base of the balloon, loop the twisted section around the string. Secure each tassel with a piece of clear tape.
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on the Balloon Time carton.